Monday 4 May 2015

Jessica Penne: Championship Opportunity Knocks at UFC Berlin

Jessica PenneOpportunities arise in the strangest places in mixed martial arts, but Jessica Penne was ready when the biggest moment of her career came to call.

The former atomweight turned UFC women's strawweight contender was training for her upcoming bout against Juliana Lima, set to take place on May 30 at Fight Night 67, when word came that there had been a change of plans. The 32-year-old Californian would no longer be traveling to Brazil with the hopes of scrapping her way into a title shot, instead, the championship opportunity she'd been envisioning since her arrival in the UFC was coming in short order.

In a quick turn, she would now be preparing to face Joanna Jedrzejczykwhen the UFC returns to Berlin for Fight Night 69 on June 20. And while Penne was admittedly surprised her number was called, she has every intention of making the most out of the opportunity. She is well aware that doors of this caliber don't often open in the fight game, and Penne is determined to capitalize by any means necessary.

"I was pretty stoked to get that call to be honest," Penne told Bleacher Report. "I was kind of caught off guard. I got the phone call, but it really didn't settle in until yesterday when I woke up and my phone was exploding with messages and notifications. I figured maybe after fighting in Brazil and getting a win over Juliana that a title shot would maybe be the next logical step, but you never know. You never really know how these things are decided. Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised and excited to get the title shot."


While getting the title shot was a turn she didn't see coming,Penne knew she had put herself in good standing on the strength of her official UFC debut back in December. The former kickboxerwith slick submission skills went toe-to-toe with Randa Markos atThe Ultimate Fighter 20 finale and edged out the hard-nosed Canadian via split-decision on the judges' scorecards to pick up her first victory inside the Octagon.

In addition to getting her hand raised at fight's end, Penne also picked up an extra check for the tenacity of her performance inside the cage and doing her part to put on the most exciting tilt of the night. And as it would turn out, the statement she made in Las Vegas would carry through the twists and turns of promotional mapping to land a shot at the strawweight crown.

"I thought that fight was a great way to introduce myself to the UFC,"Penne said. "I don't think you can get a better UFC debut than getting the win and a Fight of the Night bonus. I always go out there to put on exciting fights. I'm always trying to improve myself as a fighter. I was pleased, but not satisfied. I think I am growing into this weight class.

"I came up from 105 pounds and this weight class is a bit different, but being on the show and having that last fight was a great way to get my bearings in this weight class. I'm definitely growing into it and I feel very confident here. I felt good at 105 pounds, but I think 115 is a better fit for my size and shape."

With her focus now shifted toward Jedrzejczyk, the newly minted title challenger will be tasked with dethroning a champion who built some mystique in her last fight. The rangy Poland native battered and dominated former belt-holder Carla Esparza until she put away "The Cookie Monster" in the second round of their bout at UFC 185 in March. The beating Jedrzejczyk handed out was so thorough and lopsided against a proven veteran in Esparza, it created the idea she had the potential to reign as 115-pound queen for a long time.

Penne doesn't see things in that perspective. She grants that the current champion deserved to win the title on that night in Dallas, but she hasn't fallen into the mystique surroundingJedrzejczyk. The Orange County native believes she has what it takes to steal the strawweightcrown and plans to make her dream of becoming a UFC champion reality in impressive fashion.

"I feel like a lot of people are really hyped out because of Joanna and Carla's [Esparza] fight and I think they are a little bit distracted by the results of it and how it went," Penne said. "I've looked at her other fights and they haven't been like that. I definitely see where I can capitalize and I see myself getting a submission win. I'm really looking forward to the challenge. She's a very tough fighter. She definitely belongs in the spot that she's in, but I believe I have the tools to beat her.

"Becoming a UFC champion would be absolutely amazing. I'm in this sport because I believe I'm the best and I'm going to go out there and prove it. The ultimate goal in every fighter's career is to be No. 1 and to hold that belt. I'm ecstatic and excited for this opportunity. It's just beyond my dreams."

Related Posts

Jessica Penne: Championship Opportunity Knocks at UFC Berlin
4/ 5
Oleh

Subscribe via email

Like the post above? Please subscribe to the latest posts directly via email.