Friday 1 May 2015

UFC 187's Donald Cerrone Willing to Risk Potential Title Shot Against John Makdessi

donald cerroneDonald Cerrone has earned fame for his willingness to make quick turnarounds and fight on short notice. He said he applauds new UFC 187 opponent John Makdessi for doing the same. Cerrone (27-6 MMA, 14-3 UFC) was left without an opponent for less than 24 hours after news broke that original opponent Khabib Nurmagomedov was forced out of UFC 187 due to injury. Makdessi (13-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) then accepted the fight.
Makdessi will return to the octagon exactly four weeks after his first-round knockout of Shane Campbell at UFC 186 in Montreal. The bout marked his return from a 13-month layoff and fourth victory in his past five octagon appearances.“Cowboy” has played the role of Makdessi several times in the past. The fight is arguably a no-win situation for Cerrone, who is ranked No. 4 in the latest USA TODAY Spor/Combatpost.blogspot.com lightweight rankings, because Nurmagomedov’s injury opened the door for him to possibly wait and challenge UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos later this year.
Cerrone realizes the risk involved with putting his seven-fight winning streak on the line against an unranked opponent. However, he said declining the matchup would be hypocritical.
“I can’t be the guy that says I’ll fight anybody, anywhere, anytime then when the opportunity arises say, ‘Oh, man. I can’t do that,'” Cerrone said on FOX Sports 1’s “UFC Tonight.” “I’ve got to be true to my word, man. They gave me an opponent. A lot of people say I already have the title shot and this is a fight that could jeopardize that. But I just want to fight. That’s my mentality and I’m excited.”
While Makdessi is no pushover, there were several other 155-pound fighters of note who volunteered to fill Nurmagomedov’s place. Former Strikeforce champion Josh Thomson and Jorge Masvidal were among those who expressed interest. Cerrone said Makdessi was the only one offered and he didn’t hesitate to accept.
“Really, they didn’t give me much of an option,” Cerrone said. “They called me, and I just want to fight. The who didn’t matter to me. It’s just showing up to fight. I’m excited that the guy stepped up. He kind of took a page out of my book, and this is a huge opportunity for him. I think it’s going to be a great fight.”
Cerrone originally was preparing for an opponent who many believe has the potential to be a UFC champion. Nurmagomedov’s relentless style had earned him a 22-0 record, and he was thought to present a significant challenge to Cerrone. When asked if he views Makdessi as a lesser opponent than “The Eagle,” Cerrone said there’s no such thing as an easy fight in the UFC – although Makdessi may better compliment his style.
“I don’t think anybody in the UFC is an easy fight anymore,” Cerrone said. “We’re here for a reason, so I’m not overlooking this guy I’m fighting – but I was really looking forward to fight Khabib. That’s three fights that I’ve scheduled with him and three fights that something’s come up and we haven’t been able to fight. No one’s an easier opponent. Maybe John’s not going to wrestle and it’s going to be more of a standup fight, I believe. So maybe (we’ll) give the crowd a little more exciting fight.”

Related Posts

UFC 187's Donald Cerrone Willing to Risk Potential Title Shot Against John Makdessi
4/ 5
Oleh

Subscribe via email

Like the post above? Please subscribe to the latest posts directly via email.